Construction plans revised

Greg Nelson, vice president of Administrative Services, announced at the Nov. 2 College Planning Council meeting that there is a revised building plan for Vocational Building 100.

Building 100 was set to be demolished and a new vocational center built in its place. The building will now be renovated rather than replaced because of limited bond funds.

Buildings 200 and 300 will be demolished and replaced with a Performing Arts Center and new gym.

A prior fund to evaluate Building K, the old Child Development Center building, was transferred to a project to relocate the photography lab from Building 100 to the Technology Center.

Nelson also said the SJCC bookstore now reports to the District Office rather than the vice president of Administrative Affairs.

The CPC meeting included several additional reports:

• Doriann Tran, International Program Counselor, suggested that international student insurance be automatically billed to the students or assessed as part of registration fees rather than depend on students to voluntarily sign up for the insurance separately.
  • The Campus Technology Committee approved a process for its self-evaluation. The committee also discussed the need to improve Wi-Fi accessibility on campus. Nelson explained the Wi-Fi limitation is due to the bandwidth size. In the bond upgrades, the bandwidth will be expanded from one gigabyte to 10 gigabytes.
  • The Diversity Advisory Committee developed a form and criteria for requesting funding of the various diversity groups’ activities.
  • The Facilities Committee discussed adding additional elements to improve campus safety and adding additional bike racks at the Science Building.
  • The Finance Committee is refining the process for the upcoming budget allocation and program request for all educational programs.
  • The Instructional Policies and Curriculum Committee chairs met with the executive committee of the Academic Senate to discuss the evaluation of academic program discontinuance.
  • The Student Success Committee said they are assessing the impact and effectiveness of learning communities on student success.

$662
$1000