American Chemical Society honors professor

[media-credit id=8 align=”alignnone” width=”400″]American Chemical Society honors professor[/media-credit]
Harry Ungar gives San Jose City College professor Madeline Adamczeski the Teacher-Scholar Award on Nov. 17 at the Biltmore Hotel.
In a room behind the bar in the Biltmore Hotel, the American Chemical Society held its annual awards ceremony in honor of Madeline Adamczeski, 50, professor of chemistry and director of the Western Regional Center for Peer Lead Team Learning Division of Math and Science, S111.

The Teacher-Scholar Award, given to faculty members who show extraordinary efforts and to recognize work of outstanding community college faculty, was awarded to Adamczeski on Nov. 17.

“I believe I received the award because I go above and beyond,” Adamczeski said. “I try to make opportunities for my students to succeed.”

One of the major accomplishments Adamczeski spearheaded was bringing the PLTL program to SJCC.

PLTL is a program in which students who do well in the class are recruited to be leaders, and they assist their fellow students in learning and problem solving.

Adamczeski’s students feel it was a great decision giving the award to her.

“She works so hard and dedicates so much of herself to all of her students that it’s unbelievable,” said Athena Ford, 22, nursing student.

Approximately 100 people attended the award ceremony, which consisted of dinner, then a short presentation about the various programs the ACS is implementing in schools, before they presented Adamczeski with her award.

Adamczeski gave a short speech to accept her award.

“To do what you love, and love what you do, is the greatest honor of all,” Adamczeski said.

Students from the SJCC branch of the ACS were also in attendance.

“I think she’s one of the best teachers I’ve had,” said Oscar Sanchez, 19, athletic training student, “She’s always busy because she’s always helping here or there, but overall she’s a very great teacher.”

The award consisted of a plaque with her name engraved on it, as well as a $500 grant from the ACS.

$662
$1000