No vigil for Fla. shooting victim

By Jon Caires and Olivia Payne

There was no appearance made by any of the Associated Student members who scheduled a vigil in honor of Trayvon Martin at 11 a.m. on Thursday, March 29.

The AS advertised Wednesday on its Facebook page that there was to be a vigil held Thursday, March 29 for Trayvon Martin.

“If you are a student at SJCC and would like to participate in a vigil tomorrow from 11 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. for Trayvon Martin, please come to college wearing a hoodie. We will hold the vigil at 11 a.m. outside of student center,” the Facebook post read.

There were about a dozen students lined up in front of the Student Center wearing their hooded sweatshirts in honor of Martin.

They waited for someone from AS to start speaking to the crowd.

At 11:21 a.m., 21 minutes after the vigil was supposed to begin Student Life Director Jennifer Neil told the crowd that the vigil had been canceled and would not be held until after spring break.

“I feel that I just wasted my time,” said Teresa Reveles, 32, child development major.

The crowd of Martin supporters angrily dispersed after Neil made the statement.

“They should not have told us if it was not going to happen,” said Andrew Lincoln, 23, music major. He said he would be willing to come out and support another vigil, if one was planned for the future.

Professor Khalid White, ethnic studies, said he received an email about the vigil at 11 a.m. as well.

“I have no idea what happened with that,” White said. “I am a bit disappointed myself and can not really explain the situation.”

$662
$1000