College Planning Commission recommends parking fee increase

BY LARRY HARRIS/CONTRIBUTOR

The following is a brief summary of the March 2 CPC meeting:

• The College Planning Committee has recommended $10 parking fee increase to the Board of Trustees at meeting March 2. The fee increase will help offset the under funded campus police department.
  • Greg Nelson, vice-president of administrative services, delivered a budget report detailing a budget shortfall of $5 million for the next academic year. The District Budget Council is reviewing 22 expense saving possibilities to submit to the Board of Trustees for consideration.
  • Nelson said that the school website is undergoing a redesign in time for fall semester by new systems administrator Edwin Gaitan.
  • Intel is hosting a paid internship, the Ultimate Engineering Experience. It is open to anyone and there are no prerequisites. The duration is 20 hours per week for six-weeks, and Intel will pay $1,000 stipend and provide a $2,000 credit for books.
  • Nelson updated the committee on the SharePoint Intranet implementation that will board the college’s documents and is interactive.
  • Google+ will use GPS to map San Jose City College. Each room will have its own GPS system and students can use a cell phone GPS feature to find to any room on campus.

$662
$1000