Academic Senate

Three new positions have been opened up for faculty at San Jose City College with one going to the Mathematics department, Counseling and the Journalism department. These were chosen at the Academic Senate meeting on Nov. 15 in room SC-204 of the Student Center.

Academic Senate President Christopher Frazier called the meeting to order at two p.m. and quickly got to the issue at hand, the applicants for the three new full-time faculty positions.

The Biology department voiced concerns about growing enrollment and a need for more professors to cover larger classes.

The Counseling departments wanted to replace lost positions and enable more counselors to cover the larger student body.

Journalism showed up en force with Keiko Kimura, dean of the Language Arts department, asking for a full time faculty position in a program which only has one part time professor.

“The program is the voice for the student body and it represents an asset which must be taken care of.” said Kimura.

She was backed by the students of the San Jose City College Times who also talked about the benefits of a full-time faculty position in Journalism.

The newsroom was later informed about the choices for the departmental positions. The process now moves to the selection of candidates by human resources and then a hiring committee will be formed to compare selected candidates.

$662
$1000