Hate crime shocks EVC

New building defaced with Nazi imagery

Gio Gaxiola

A district-wide alert was issued by SJECCD police on a hate crime discovered at Evergreen Valley College on Feb. 2, reigniting concern among students and about safety on campus.

In the new math and science building, a big swastika was found drawn in pencil on one of the bathroom stalls in the first floor men’s restroom, along with the words “Hitler did nothing wrong.”

Many students took offense to the vandalism, particularly its discriminatory message. The swastika has been adopted by modern hate groups as a symbol of the Nazi party’s “white-supremacist” ideology.

“It’s disheartening that such a hateful act could actually happen on campus,” second-year EVC student Alyssa Navarro said.

This hate crime is just the latest of incidents that have pushed the district to consider safety on its campuses.

In November, SJCC’s Cesar Chavez Library was burgled and vandalized in its second break-in of the year. And last summer, a SJCC student seeking a confrontation with his instructor was detained by police as he was heading towards the Technology Center carrying a taser.

“There can be more campus police present, and sweeps. As students, we must come together and support one another,” Navarro said.

Custodians at EVC quickly covered the hate graffiti with paint.

Campus police are still trying to find a suspect and the motive behind the hate crime. They urge anyone who has information about this incident to come forward.

“School campuses should be a safe place, not the other way around,” Navarro said.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Hate crime shocks EVC”

1. Eric Davidson on February 27th, 2018 7:59 pm

…”pics or it didn’t happen”

2. Altos on March 11th, 2018 6:52 pm

The response of the campus and the journalists within it is exactly the kind of behavior this troll wanted and expected. “Hitler did nothing wrong”, is a well known meme meant to provoke this response from overly-sensitive students on campus. Stop identifying events like these as being hate crimes. They’re not. They are baits meant to evoke the campuses hyper-sensitivity and victimhood tendencies. These kinds of events will continue to occur as long as the campus remains hyper-sensitive to everything. The campus simply needs to explain the event, why it is unacceptable, and the punishment one would get for such behavior. No need to be hyper-reactionary with unrealistic concerns of our safety. These events will persist and colleges will continue to been seen as a joke if the behavior does not change.

• Hate crime shocks EVC

News

Reflections on the Tree of Life Congregation massacre in Pittsburgh

• News

Election 2018: Newsom and Cox battle for California

• Briefs

Dia de los muertos at SJCC

• Briefs

SJCC trip to japan

• Hate crime shocks EVC

News

San Jose lifts billboard ban

• Hate crime shocks EVC

News

Remembering Virginia Scales

• Hate crime shocks EVC

News

ESL equals social justice for immigrants.

• Briefs

Times wins awards

• Hate crime shocks EVC

Briefs

SJCC DJ Big Nick interviews journalism students

• Hate crime shocks EVC

Briefs

HVAC program ranked 5th in the nation

Hate crime shocks EVC