Student center buzzing on transfer day

Representatives from several schools aim to aid application process

Rudrik Suthar

Representatives from universities and colleges lined up to meet students inside the Student Services Center on Oct. 9.

Rudrik Suthar, Times Staff

Transfer Day took place on Oct. 9th in the Student Center. Students of all academic backgrounds mingled and picked the brains of the several college representatives from schools such as UC’s CSU’s in state and out of state, private and public colleges.

“I don’t think the application process is overly daunting, it can be really easy if you know your plan and as long as you’re following the dates and deadlines,” said Mohammed, a 19 year old business administration major “In terms of confidence, I’ve been able to maintain decent grades, so I’m not too worried.”

Not all students have a concrete major picked at the time of transfer, and that’s okay.

“I haven’t declared my major a right now, but I’m ahead of schedule so the applications have been going smooth.” Said Gabriella, 20.

Although she hasn’t declared a major, she wants a career in healthcare.

Students who are soon to submit transfer applications to universities this fall can leverage their application process by staying connected to the Career/Transfer Center.

Carol Vasquez, a coordinator at the Center said, “Our mission is to support students in achieving educational life goals by promoting their career development through quality and comprehensive resources in a nurturing environment.”

At the entrance to the Student Services Center, students flock to the booths lined up to ask questions and speak to representatives on Oct. 9.

For the months of October and November, the Career/Transfer Center will host workshops and seminars as well as invite CSU and UC representatives to speak and answer questions. Students can find the exact dates and speakers at the SJCC Career/Transfer Center website: https://www.sjcctransfercareer.com.

Nathan Evans, director of Enrollment Management Services for the CSU chancellor’s office, reminds students in an informational video that the application is open from Oct. 1st through Nov 30.

“Students who are applying to the CSU must set up a CSU mentor account and keep their official academic information at hand while filling out the application,” Evans said. “CSU mentor is easy to navigate and students should explore the website.”

In addition to CSUs, UCs have a similar application with the same deadlines, however UCs incorporate a writing portion.  The last deadline is Jan. 1st, which is for financial aid. Students who wish to qualify for financial aid should submit the FAFSA online.

Regardless of the possibly tedious procedures in applying, students are more than aware of what is required of them.