Art building to be demolished next spring

Zizly Flores

[media-credit id=36 align=”alignnone” width=”400″]Art building to be demolished next spring [/media-credit]

Deteriorating Fine Arts buildings to be replaced by new facility

A big renovation project is set to begin at San Jose City College in the spring semester.

The Fine Arts building is set to be demolished in the spring in order to begin construction on a new multidisciplinary building, which will house the math and fine arts departments.

Facilities Project Manager, Rudy Nasol, told Times staff in the March issue that he estimated the building will cost $30 million and is projected to be completed by 2013.

Measure G, a bond that was passed in 2004, will fund the project, according to the Facilities Phasing Schedule from MAAS Companies, who oversee the planning, development and project management for California community colleges.

“We desperately need it,” said Eve Mathias, an art instructor who has been teaching at SJCC since 1992. “Buildings are falling down around us literally.”

Mathias said that on Sept. 22 in room F1, a light fixture fell from old track lighting during a class session. No one was hurt and the custodial and maintenance departments “rose to the occasion” and responded quickly and efficiently, Mathias said .

“It has not been maintained,” she said talking about her classroom, which has major water damage to the ceiling and walls.The new building will also bring much needed space to the department, Mathias said “We make noise. Sit down classes are not compatible.”

She also said she has high hopes that construction will start soon and that it will boost the moral of everyone.

“I think it is a good idea but I like the idea of preserving the original campus. It gives an old-school feeling,” said Atama Mane, a 20-year-old student majoring in engineering.

Douglas Treadway, SJCC interim president, who has experience drafting Master Facilities Plans said renovations are a great idea, but he said the campus is under-utilized; something that will be useful when redirecting art courses during construction.

Art classes will be taught in different buildings during construction of the building, however, the exact location is still undetermined. Facilities Committee Chairman, Stephen Mansfield, wrote in an e-mail that the facilities committee is “also in the dark about the classes.”
Art classes will resume as normal during the spring semester Mathias said, “The art department will not be orphaned.”