Jags win 9 out of 16 games

San Jose City College showers 133 hits in March

With a 40 percent chance of rain at game time, the Jags battled through the elements achieving the win 7-2 at home Tuesday, March 25 over the Coast North Conference Mission College Saints (0-16, 0-10)

Sophomore pitcher Gianna Cavallaro rested her arm during the game, but Coach Debbie Huntze-Rooney had her name on the lineup card. Cavallaro said she was going through a slump, but came ready to hit.

“When I saw my pitch fastball down the middle,” Cavallaro said, “I swung.”

With two home runs and four runs batted in, Cavallaro said she has been working on hitting and is pleased with the results.

Sophomore catcher Treasure Rodriguez finished with three hits in four at bats, while sophomore centerfielder Krystal Rock added two hits, a triple and two stolen bases.

Freshman “knuckleball” pitcher Jessica Wakeman pitched a complete game, allowing four hits and one walk.

Wakeman gave up two back-to-back home runs in the third inning. After the game, she said it was the two curveball pitches that got away from her, right over the center of the plate.

“In that inning I was struggling with the curve a little bit,” Wakeman said, “and they (Mission College) were hanging over the plate a little and were able to get ahold of a few.”

Wakeman battled her way out of the inning, getting Saint hitters to ground and strike out.

Coming out of the 6-0 win over cross-town rival De Anza College on Tuesday, March 11, the Jags finished 2-0 overall on Thursday, March 13, winning in “10-run-rule” fashion over the City College of San Francisco (4-15-1, 1-8) in five innings 10-2.

Sophomore third baseman Stephanie Pickard hit her first collegiate home run and finished with three runs batted in.

Pickard said it hitting her first home run at home was special, and it felt really good to get the win.

Freshman shortstop Kallie Klinger had three hits in three at bats, a double and scored two runs.

Wakeman pitched all five innings and Huntze-Rooney said she had great command, getting ahead in the count against batters and mixing up her pitches.

“We tried some different things and we got the hitters off balance,” Huntze-Rooney said.

The Jags participated in softball’s version of March Madness, a tournament in Fremont during the weekend of March 15. By the end of the weekend, the Jags finished 3-2.

The team traveled to Ohlone College (18-10, 7-3) on Tuesday, March 18, but came up short 7-5 after scoring four runs early.

Huntze-Rooney said Ohlone continued getting not solid but “dinker” hits and key walks, setting the table for them to score most of their runs.

Wakeman was pulled out after three innings and giving up four runs on four hits, four walks and a strikeout.

Freshman pitcher Alex Hernandez finished the final three inning, giving up three runs on six hits.

The Jags had a different approach in their 11-3 victory over Cabrillo College (6-16, 1-8) on Thursday, March 20. The team racked up 11 hits, 11 runs and nine runs batted in, with teammates hitting in whoever got on base.

The team had two home runs coming off the bats of sophomores Rodriguez and Rock. Rock also added another stolen base to her 11 on the season.

“Every time the team gets on base, they are looking for the best pitch and the the best hitters to steal the base,” Rock said.

Cavallaro pitched five strong innings, allowing five hits, two walks and three strikeouts Ohlone hitters. She held down the win for the Jags, who finished the week 1-1.

Rooney said the Jags are taking each day at a time and working to improve their skills as a team.

$662
$1000