Board Brief" />

Board Brief

Board+Brief
Larry L Harris

Board of Trustees gets new location

The Board of Trustees held its Jan. 27 meeting at the new district office located at 40 S. Market St. in San Jose. The new board room is equipped with the state-of-the-art meeting amenities, including electronic polling and a display of votes cast.

Vice President of Student Affairs Elaine Burns gave the building an aggressive thumbs-up approval sign.

“The building is approximately 42,000 sq. ft. at an approximate cost of $4.1 million,” said Scott Jewell of Gilbane construction, the district’s construction consultant for the Measure G 2010 bonds said.

The district office had to be relocated from the Evergreen campus because the old district office lies on part of 27.1 acres of surplus land to be developed.

Ironworkers come to SJCC

At its Jan. 13 meeting, the board approved eight classes for the Ironworkers Apprenticeship program to be held on the San Jose City College campus.

Iron 100 Orientation and Trade Science

Iron 110 Mixed Base

Iron 120 Rigging

Iron 130 Reinforcing

Iron 140 Precast Concrete and Metal Buildings

Iron 150 Welding I

Iron 151 Welding II

Iron 152 Welding III

“To be eligible for this program the student must currently work as an Ironworker and has passed the Ironworker’s Gladiator program,” Vice President of Academic Affairs Duncan Graham said. “After completing this four year educational program, the ironworker may merit a Journeyman Certificate at a possible annual salary of $70,000.”

Graham also said, “The program will include a two-story I-beam construction site between the 100 and 200 vocational wings where the Ironworkers can practice rigging, roping in and safety measures.”

Development on the Evergreen campus

Development of surplus land on the Evergreen campus will earn the district a minimum of $1.5 million per year over a 55-year period.

The board passed a resolution to seek bids for the development of 27.1 acres of surplus land on the south portion of the Evergreen campus.

The project will include upscale design suitable for Evergreen Valley and will be comprised of retail, office, multifamily housing and other uses. The housing portion will include 80 units of affordable senior housing.

According to the request for proposal, Sthe lease “base rent” shall be $1.5 million annually to the district with an initial lease term of 55 years.

The old district office will be demolished to free up the entire 27.1 acres for development.

$662
$1000