Finally bringing boxing to SJCC

After a hard start-up, Boxing Club President David Silva said the club finally got approved funding from the Associated Students Council. The club was scheduled to be chartered late last semester, but Silva, 21, undeclaired major, said they used the summer to plan for the new semester.

“The goal of the club is to bring boxing the SJCC and maybe one day have an actual boxing program,” said Jeff Berta, treasurer of the Boxing club and former AS vice president. “San Jose State (University) has one, high schools have them, so it is SJCC’s time.”

African-American Studies teacher Khalid White is the faculty adviser, and Berta sets the times of the club meetings.

“AS has given us $200, but for everything else, Jeff (Berta) and I will supply gear and stuff,” said Silva, a 24-year-old history major. “With conditioning over summer, we hope to start the class with basic training.”

Berta said the main purpose of the club is basically to teach techniques and also provides a way for students to release stress.

“Students can release frustration so they do not go out and beat people up,” Berta said. “Also, with the attacks on women and scares on and around campus, we hope to teach self-defense to all students.”

Teresa Boehm, 23, recreational therapy major, said she thinks the club sounds fun.

“I think that it would be a great club, even for women,” Boehm said. “Not only can you stay physically active, but safety matters, and it is a great way to learn self-defense.”

Silva also said he wants to bring professional and amateur boxers to help teach sparring with the club members when they get their gear and have sparring matches.

Berta said that “with David’s passion for boxing and Khalid’s leadership skills, this club could be a great thing to happen for SJCC students.”

$662
$1000