First day blues

By Patrick Loera

A students time at San Jose City College commences, the excitement of college and transferring looms in the air. For some, a sudden case of anxiety may set in when your first assignments start piling up. For others, the cold reality of harder assignments and a larger workload are but mere hurdles waiting to be cleared like all the others passed. Whether you’re a returning student or new student here at SJCC, starting a new semester is an exciting time.

As a student, I can sympathize with many pressures of beginning a new semester, and have felt the anxiety of getting behind on your homework schedule because of social engagements. Meaning, I also have been caught having an non-academic conversation when I should have been doing homework. In reality, who doesn’t get caught up catching up with an old friend or new acquaintance? Nonetheless, as students we all know when to put the games away and get down to business. And if you don’t, then you better recognize!

This is college, and preparations starts before the first day of class. Returning students and classmates can be your best source of information and advice.

“To prepare myself for a new semester I make sure I start off organized and have all the materials I need for every class,”returning softball player and public relations major, Coco Foster said.

Another returning student, criminal justice major and Soccer Club President, Abraham Hernandez,  provided some great advice for new students.

“The one thing that I don’t want to leave for the last minute is buying my books. I have experienced that in most classes the teacher expects you to have your books by the second day of class,” Hernandez said. “If you don’t, then believe it or not, you are already behind. So don’t wait to get your books!”
The clear message here is not to procrastinate on preparing yourself for class.

“The worst thing to do is forget your schedule and not know where to go. Then you’re late to class, and that’s so embarrassing,” second semester psychology major Jennifer Antiporta said.

So, take it from a few experienced students on campus, the only way to beat those “first day blues” is to prepare yourself not only physically with books and supplies, but mentally as well. A prepared student is a successful student.

$662
$1000