Student government must be transparent, approachable

Editorial2On the heels of recent elections for a new Associated Student Government, the question on the minds of many students is what type of government should we expect?

The current ASG seemed to struggle to connect with the students. For example, the Eco Pass survey resulted in only 3.8 percent of students actually participating in the survey.

They are the bridge for the students and other community within the campus and the district. The communication and mutual understanding between the students and the ASG should be the top priorities.

To resolve these problems, first the new government should be more transparent. Before passing or adopting any new resolutions, laws and policies that may affect the students, they should find a better outlet to announce them to students before deciding on them in the meetings.

Second, student officers should not sit in their offices and wait for students to come to them. They need to be more approachable. Officers must go out and ask what the students need. They should announce events, ASG meeting times and dates, and possible new resolution and policies utilizing the media such as the radio station, the newspaper and the school’s website.

They should hold a public hearing in the beginning of each semester, when they announce all the events and activities. Another public hearing should also be held at the end of each semester for feedback from the students and other members of the community.

ASG ought to take a tour around campus, at least once a month, to talk to people in different departments to understand the problems students are facing. This will allow them to be more connected to all of the students and their needs.

Lastly, another problem the campus is facing is the students’ empathy. The ASG must be the advocates for the campus’ spirit. They should hold more events and activities engaging students to congregate together as a community. These activities also need to be announced well in advance so that students can make time to attend them.

The students are the heart of the school while the student government is the mind and the voice; one cannot function without the other.

$662
$1000