These are the best of Times

The San Jose City College Times student journalists have recently won several awards. Times staffers have received this recognition from not only the Journalism Association of Community Colleges, but also the California College Media Association during the past month.

These recent wins, bringing the semester total to 21 awards, break the milestone set last semester when the City College Times won a total of 20 awards.

The JACC state conference is held once a year. Community colleges from Northern and Southern California compete in mail in, on-the-spot and bring-in contests. The City College Times was awarded the General Excellence in Print Award.

This award signifies that the City College Times was one of the top community college newspapers in California for the back-to-school issue, which included the breaking story about the potential cancellation of the journalism program at San Jose City College.

The issue submitted also had a great variety of news stories, photographs and articles that provided information for every aspect of campus.
City College Times photo editor Andy Nguyen was awarded the JACC Conference Scholarship.

“When I heard the JACC committee announced my name for the scholarship, I was so excited,” Nguyen said.

Students on the Times staff won a total of 13 awards at the California College Media Association’s annual journalism competition, which included four-year as well as two-year colleges. Some of the awards given to the Times staff were first place in best back-to-school issue, third place in best breaking news story, both first and third place in best feature story, third place in best editorial and second place in best sports column.

$662
$1000