The Vietnamese Student Association are movers and shakers

A touch of class arrived at San Jose City College, Friday night, April 5.

“Traces of Vietnam,” had star quality performances. It was easy to see that the Vietnamese Student Association reached out and achieved community support.  Minutes before show time, the 330 seat auditorium was close to full.

Twenty six students performed on stage. The Cosmetology Department had 10 students who came to do the hair and makeup for the performers,” said Kim Nguyen professor of chemistry and student adviser of the VSA.

“Twenty additional students on campus were the stage hands and ushers for the evening’s event.”  “There were five more students who were the camera and the sound crew,” Nguyen said. “In total, 61 SJCC students were in the production of the event.” “The Lion Dance and the martial arts performances were done by professionals,” Nguyen said.  

It began with the stage being set in a total color explosion. The “Lion Dance” was performed by the Buu Kim Tu Lion Dance Team was accompanied by a percussionist team that created a rhythm that was dramatic and set the tone for what was to come.

The opening was a combination of vibrant colors, exciting music and talented athletic movements. Male performers were lifting other men in the air and holding them above their heads with the sheer force of their hand grips.

The V-Student Band performed the next act. They are students from California State University East Bay, Mission and Evergreen Community Colleges. The combination of music and song was in great harmony. It flowed well after the first act.

Ao Dai Fashion was presented by SJCC student models. The colors were flowing as the models walked the stage.

The show was motivating, entertaining and in balance.

The audience was teased with the beauty of the models, moved to the music and listened to the love songs.

At the site of the education auditorium stage, the audience was entertained by Thu Thuy Luu, who shared her passion when she left San Jose and went to Vietnam to meet her favorite author. 

Luu and English professor Scott Alkire collaborated to produce the most favorite Vietnamese book, “Floating Lives,” translated in English.

After the intermission, the audience was treated to a martial arts presentation by the Trung Truc VOVINAM team. The team varied in age and size. Skill set was evident by the color of the belt (indicating accomplishment) worn by each athlete.

They performed with weapons, a long spear with a large knife-like blade at the end, which is called, Long Chinese Halberd. This combined with long rattan sticks were wielded as if to be “in mock combat.”

The members of the team demonstrated many skilled fighting techniques and also made a skit to humor the audience.  The acrobatic skills and strength of the team was evident.

The Hat Dance was performed by SJCC students. This dance was to accent the movements of beautiful women. The Lion and Dragon dance was about a historical Vietnamese life story.

This was followed by a song, “Hello Vietnam,” performed by Thu Huong Tran, a SJCC student who wore a spectacular dress. The colors were most amazing and equaled any rainbow in beauty.

The audience was then treated to a model show to demonstrate northern, central and southern traditional clothing.

Men and women were on the runway and provided a pleasure. The colors were bright, the garments flowed as they walked. The rhythm of the show was to be a time to relax and unwind. Yet you could hardly wait to see what was being worn next.

“Noi Trong Len Cac Ban oi / Let Your Drums Rise” was performed by Derek Bui, a member of the Trung Truc VOVINAM Center’s Student.

Closing was done by Huy Doan and Linh Nguyen, who were our masters of ceremonies for the event.  The crowd stayed after to speak with the performers and to share the experiences.

This event was the exception. Without a doubt it was one of the best attended events of the semester, and one of the most fun and entertaining.

The success of the event was the result of four months of serious promotion and marketing of the event,” Kim Nguyen said.  

Bio-Chemistry major, president of the V.S.A. Thanh Phan shared the many reasons for the events success. Phan said the six officers came together and all created an atmosphere that allowed students to take part and be active in all aspects of the event.       

“This project was proposed last October by the officers of the VSA, and it was approved in November 2012 and then planning began,” Phan said.

Phan cites the significant effort in the marketing and production of the advertisements methods used.

Phan gave credit to Associated Student Government vice-president Maryam Rahim, who went classroom to classroom to make announcements to the students with Phan. “ASG assisted by supporting the marketing the event,” Phan said.

“There was many days when I was in tears, crying much, worried that something would not happen or come out right,” Phan said. Stress was a major emotional experience during the process.

Then show time happened and everyone was wonderful and my confidence restored. Phan cannot wait to assist with the next event. She is encouraging her team of officers to begin the next project. Phan says, “I really miss all the excitement and creativity and want to experience this again.”

“The event was a success, because it was a two-hour event with a variety of different acts (topics) something to attract people with different taste,” said Maryam Rahim, biology major, Associated Student vice-president.” “The vast effort of marketing and promotion was done by the VSA officers and staff and VSA faculty adviser; it was a concerted three month effort,” said Rahim.

“The faculty allowed presentations in each class; they supported the event by giving students credit for attendance to the event,” Rahim said.

$662
$1000