Safe sex discussion needed on campus

Practicing safe and consensual sex is something that should be taught at a young age, but the alarming amount of sexual assault cases in the media proves otherwise.

Many colleges offer forms of birth control to students, but rarely give advice about relationships and consent. Learning how to stay safe is especially important with April being Sexually Transmitted Disease Awareness month.

Boston University has a program they call the Condom Fairy, where students can request protection to be sent to their personal mail boxes.

What makes this so important is the products come with several pamphlets about safe and consensual sex. The key here is to help educate students and ensure they check that their partners are willing to engage in sexual activity.

The Boston University website where products can be requested also has contact information for students to report sexual assault and receive counseling if needed.

The San Jose City College Student Health Center offers many forms of birth control for students along with other opportunities for prevention and counseling.

For more information, call the SJCC Student Health Center at 408-288-3724

$662
$1000