Rental book surge at SJCC

[media-credit id=13 align=”alignnone” width=”400″]Rental book surge at SJCC[/media-credit]By Louis Zapata

The San Jose City College bookstore has rental books available for the second year.

Sales of new and used books have declined since the rental book program was implemented in 2010, demonstrated by the fact that rental bookshelf spaces are nearly empty, and the new and used may still have ample stock.

The Internet has created opportunities for booksellers to connect with book buyers and now renters. Books are a necessary expense for virtually all classes and impact student budgets.

For many students at SJCC, bargains are vital to their financial means and ultimate success in college.

“I paid over $600 my first semester,” said 28-year-old accounting major Ngoc Anh Nguyen.

“This semester I rented from Chegg and found my business law book on Craigslist. I spent less than $300 this semester,” Nguyen said. “I’m happy with 50 percent savings.” The SJCC bookstore is now beginning to realize the growing preference for rental books as demand has outstripped supply for many of the titles in the store.

“History and Physics books are the most sought rental books,” said Guadeloupe Medina, SJCC bookstore sales clerk.

There are literally stacks of new and used books, but the rental books have been depleted. Frequently laws are updated, making necessary for textbooks to be current.

“AJ (Administration of Justice) students should rent these books because the instructors will require the current edition,” said Medina. “This means that you will not be able to sell the books back.”

$662
$1000