Wanted: President with longterm ties to SJCC

The overall success of an institution lies within the success of its administration.

While the stability of the administration does not always guarantee the viability of an institution, the seemingly high administrative turnover San Jose City College seems to be experiencing is a strong indicator of an institution in trouble.

The increasingly popular trend of college administrators leaving during their initial few years on campus is alarming.

One of the most recent replacements was when interim Vice President of Academic Affairs was replaced by Tammeil Gilkerson in the fall semester of 2012.

With the possibility of President Barbara Kavalier leaving in the near future, what do changes like these mean for us?

Does having a consistent administration matter to students or other constituents of the college? All we can do is to adapt to these changes and hope for the best, but that is obviously not the best way for the college to function.

When the new person is appointed to the position, students and, more importantly, faculty and staff have to work diligently to adjust.

Things may remain the same or could possibly change drastically. in reality, the latter is the more likely. Faculty and staff have to adapt to the new methods of the new administrators.

Goals and plans may be changed again and we may all have to start from the very beginning of a new administrative system. The possibility of change is intimidating, but as a whole the school should manage.

But how about the new president? Certainly, he or she will have to try his or her best to adapt to the new environment, get to know veteran faculty, staff and the student government.

What we need now is a change in the hiring policy for the managing personnel and new laws about their commitment to the school.

We should not just hire someone so he or she can solve some kind of problem and then leave. If we do that, he or she would think his or himself as someone to just clean up messes left behind, not someone committed to the school.

We should reach out for people who are attached to this area.

We should hire someone who is attached to SJCC, who will stay with the students and teachers, instead of looking for someone who is appointed by an outsider.

The best is to look for people already at the school, already experienced in managing and most importantly, already possessing a love for SJCC so they will truly want to stay.

$662
$1000