ʻMaster planʼ proposal shows campus changes

For the past two weeks, Nelson has presented informational sessions, regarding the 2025 master facilities plan for San Jose City College.

Nelson is working to get San Jose City College back on schedule for its 2025 facilities master plan and implementation of the 2010 G Series Bond program.

Some of the important changes that are going to be made in the 2025 master plan are creating a large internal surface parking lot for campus users, creating an onsite perimeter loop road around campus, relocating theater to center of campus and relocating operations and maintenance building to existing child care site. There are no plans to build a hard ball baseball field on campus.

Nelson is responsible for facilities, business services, new construction, district-wide bookstores, district wide reprographics.

Nelson said he wants to develop stronger security models for a safe and secure environment for SJCC Community and create partnerships for the college to build relationships for long-term growth of this institution.

“I want to prepare SJCC to lead the way in the Bay Area to where other colleges will want to learn about our accomplishments and how we’re achieving results,” Nelson wrote in an email.

Nelson graduated from Kennesaw State University in Kennesaw, Ga. with a bachelor of science in political science and is currently working on his master of business administration degree at Norwich University in Vermont.

“My wife is originally from Gilroy, and she has many relatives in and around the San Jose area,” Nelson said. “So I believed it was time to move closer to her family, that is what brought me to San Jose City College.”

Nelson’s long-term goals, he said, are to raise private donations for the college to support its mission and to revitalize the campus with improved facilities and infrastructure to support the next generation of students.

“Currently I want to prosper in my current role and help be part of a team that builds and maintains SJCC as a premier institution of higher learning in the Silicon Valley area,” Nelson wrote.

“Greg Nelson is very nice. He jumped in and has been working real hard, he’s very energetic,” said Corrine Fleming, administrative secretary to the vice president of administrative services.

“San Jose City College is on the verge of becoming a well-rounded institution,” Nelson said. “We are building new buildings, new programs and new facilities. We’re trying to tear down the antiquated facilities we have now to bring in new facilities.”

$662
$1000