Breaking news: Report of an armed gunman on campus puts SJCC on lockdown

Photo by Maria Laura Miramon                                                                    A San Jose police officer orders City College Times staff to raise their hands and stand still as they conduct a search of the newsroom Dec. 18. A report of a gunman in the building put the entire campus on lockdown while a search was conducted.
Photo by Maria Laura Miramon                                                                San Jose police officers search the third floor of the Technology Center at SJCC for a suspected gunman Dec. 18.

Photo by Maria Laura Miramon/TIMES STAFF A policeman is visible through the front door window of the City College Times Newsroom on the third floor of the Technology Center on Dec. 18. A room-to-room search was conducted for a gunman rumored to be in the building. The Times staff were locked in the newsroom for nearly two hours in the dark before police entered. No gunman was found, and the call appears to have been a hoax or a mistake. 
Photo by Maria Laura Miramon                                                                     San Jose police search a backpack for weapons on the third floor of the Technology Center on Dec. 18. San Jose City College was on lockdown for over two hours after police received a report of a gunman on campus.
Photo by Maria Laura Miramon                                                                    San Jose police conduct a headcount after leading students and staff out of the City College Times newsroom on the third floor of the Technology Center on  Dec. 18.
Photo by Maria Laura Miramon/TIMES STAFF                                        San Jose police block Moorpark Avenue after reports of a gunman on the San Jose City College campus Dec. 18.
Photo by Steve Hill/TIMES STAFF                                                                   Police are seen from the third floor of the Technology Center as they enter San Jose City College on Dec. 18. A gunman was reported to be in the building and the entire campus was put on lockdown.
Photo by Maria Laura Miramon                                                                San Jose City College was put on lockdown at approximately 5 p.m. after reports there was a gunman on campus Dec. 18. No gunman was found and the lockdown ended shortly after 8 p.m.

Video by Steve Hill/TIMES STAFF

By Steve Hill and Patrick Leora/TIMES STAFF

San Jose City College is on lockdown after reports of a gunman on campus.

The announcement was made on the Emergency Alert System  at approximately
5:05 p.m.

The instructions were for all students, faculty and staff to remain inside classrooms, turn  off lights and stay quiet.

Within the hour, a San Jose Police Department helicopter was dispatched and the SJPD Swat Team was on the SJCC campus.

SJPD officers and  a S.W.A.T. team were visible outside the Technology Center at Bascom Avenue and Moorpark Avenue with their weapons drawn. The police closed Moorpark Avenue.

The gunman was reported to be on the third floor of the Technology Center, where spotlights periodically entered the windows as the police continued their search for the suspect.

There are no reports of shots fired.

Update on campus gunman:

A district email sent at 8:12 p.m. gave the “all clear” at San Jose City College after no gunman was found.

The campus had been on lockdown following reports that a gunman was seen near the Student Center and later in the Technology Center on the opposite end of the campus.

San Jose Police Department and S.W.A.T. teams conducted a room-to-room search of the Technology Center, frisking students and searching bags.

The teams entered the newsroom with guns drawn and ordered the Times staff and their adviser to stand still and raise their hands.

The police searched some students and let some leave the classroom without a “pat down.”

City College Times Adviser Farideh Dada, who wears a Muslim head scarf, or Hijab, was searched multiple times in front of her students.

Students and faculty were led into the third-floor hallway and escorted out of the building after a head count.

Police suspect the call was a hoax or the 911 caller was mistaken.

Classes were cancelled for the rest of the evening, but finals week will continue as usual Wednesday morning.

$662
$1000