Students honored at scholarship ceremony

San Jose City College awarded scholarships to 51 students at the 29th Annual Scholarship Recognition Ceremony in the auxiliary gym on April 26.

“Explore new ideas, set your goals high and achieve what you want,” SJCC President Barbara Kavalier said in opening remarks.

Counselor Doriann Tran presented the Robert N. Chang Charitable Foundation Transfer Scholarship to seven students that expressed strong generosity and motivation.

Those students were Rebecca Cruz, Athena Ford, Luis Falcon, Truc Le, Phuong Mai, Joy Obiri and Eduardo Valle.

Professor Khalid White presented the Humanities and Social Science award to 4.0 GPA student Annastasia Brown and the ESL, Inc. Memorial Scholarship to chemistry major Enrique Rojas.

English and ESL instructor Leslie Rice presented the Bob Rice Memorial Scholarship.  Each year it is given to a student in her father’s name (who passed away 10 years ago) to honor his memory.

The $500 scholarship was awarded to Diana Castillo. Rice read a letter from Castillo, who was not present, in which she said this will help her pay for school.

Castillo wrote that she wants to set a great example for her brother, and he should not to give up if he needs to go to school because they will find a way.

“For all that you accomplish and teach us (faculty), we are honored to have you here and teach us,” Rice said. “You should be proud to be a student at SJCC.”

$662
$1000