Homemade for the holidays

Homemade for the holidays

Shelley Nilsson/CONTRIBUTOR

Vinita Nelson, a journalism student at SJCC whips up a batch of homemade brownies to give away to friends
BY ARACELI GONZALEZ, MELISSA MARTINEZ, REBECCA MORRISSEY AND VINITA NELSON

Giving homemade food instead of buying material items as presents brings back meaning to the holidays and reduces the stress of spending money you don’t have.

Many have started to look forward to the holidays for the gifts they hope to receive instead of the time spent with family.
The gift of homemade food shows thoughtfulness, appreciation, consideration and most importantly love.

“I always give people homemade foods like cheese, breads and sweets around the holidays, especially to the neighbors,” said Leeta-Rose Ballester, a journalism student at SJCC. “When we first moved into our neighborhood, which isn’t exactly the best one, people were really surprised when I came to their door bearing cookies and fudge.”

“I enjoy the hands-on experience and creativity involved in preparing just the right concoction for just the right person.”
“I have to admit that just as much as I love to give edible gifts, I love to receive them! Who doesn’t enjoy having food made for them?” Ballester said.

Use the time you would spend finding parking and fighting angry shoppers [no comma needed] whipping up something delicious to give instead.

According to Gallup, Americans plan to spend over $700 on gifts this year.

We have all re-gifted, donated or straight up thrown out items such us fake Coach purses, a purse with cat-pee on it, and worm infested candy.
[quote_right]“I have to admit that just as much as I love to give edible gifts, I love to receive them!” Leeta-Rose Ballester, journalism student[/quote_right]
When you think about the fact that the packaging of a toy is often twice the volume of the gift, a simple box of home made truffles made with fair-trade chocolate results in pure enjoyment with almost no waste.

Not only are gifts that end up in the garbage a waste of money, but they have a negative impact on our environment.

Instead of perpetuating this dubious tradition why not start at home this year, in your kitchen. From cookies, to cakes, to homemade pasta sauces and jams made with your grandmother’s recipe, the possibilities are limitless.

Gifts of food often mean more to the recipient and cost less than store bought items.

Making the gift yourself shows that you took the time and the trouble to make something personal rather than the “mystery meat log” that sometimes passes for food. Avoid going to the mall where you might be pepper-sprayed or hit on the head with a hammer.

Stay at home and create something your friends and family will love, you’ll be glad you did.

$662
$1000