Making a move for disabled students

An easy solution for a difficult problem

Illustration by Jumma Allam / Contributor

A shuttle for disabled students to move easily around campus is one proposed solution as SJCC speaks on improving student experiences.

Getting across campus to go to class is something most hardly ever have to think about. For disabled students, it can be a daily predicament. The discomfort from the struggle to get to places on-campus that a disabled student goes through can exclude these classmates from a fulfilling college experience. A shuttle for disabled students to move easily around campus is one potential step to ensure that they have equitable access to a well-rounded education experience at SJCC.

Alleviating an issue like this is never without hurdles. Martha Cazeres, program assistant at the Student Accessibility Services office, said, “It would not be easy. A proposal must be made on how an effective shuttle program would function to the SJCC administration.”

Edina Rutland, director of Student Accessibility Services, declined requests for comment.

Blake Balajadia, director of the Student Development and Activities office, said, “It would be a very good idea to have a shuttle for disabled students, as well as temporary [sic] disabled students.”

It’s been 32 years since the Americans with Disabilities Act was signed. While there have been significant strides to accommodate students with disabilities, implementations of the law at places including college campuses often do not meet the needs of disabled students, who comprise nearly 20-percent of the undergraduate population, according to the National Center for Education Statistics.

Karina Garcia, 45, is a disabled criminal sociology major. When asked about her average day on-campus, Garcia said, “When I don’t have my car, I must walk, and it takes me a little bit longer because of my disability.“
“By the end of the day, I’m crying because the pain is unbearable,“ Garcia said.