Many students, too few classes

Registration is an issue should be fixed. Classes are already overcrowded and are being filled beyond capacity with late adds and people on the waitlist, while the administration adds classes to the roster without informing students other than through white sheets in the student union.

New students, students on a waitlist and students forced to add at the last moment because Internet registration being closed are forced to stand in classes since the chairs are already filled, hoping that their number will be called for a spot.

We have covered the common occurrence of students dropping just before census (Students need to take class more seriously, Editorial, Vol. 72, No. 1). Many of these students are returning and have the benefit of early registration compared to new students, thus denying the new students a chance at certain classes.

The administration lacks focus on the issue. Some deans tell their professors that there are other classes open to take overfill and other deans do not mention it at all.

We have a registration system that is outdated, with new features being introduced that other colleges have had for some time.

A new registration system, built to the requirements of todayʼs students and incorporating todayʼs technology, could have alerts which let people on the waitlist know about new classes.

As well as allow for people to fit their own schedule into the system so they do not run into classes that bump into work or vice versa.

The teachers and professors also need to have updated lists available for their overflow students, so that the misplaced students are not forced to hope for a spot to open up.

Lastly, we need students to know they are at an accredited college, and with that comes a level of work required to graduate.

Therefore, students need to stay in their classes or talk to a counselor about taking classes that fit their needs.

This will help students who are unsure about classes they are registering for and will hopefully lessen the amount who drop after the first week.

With these three issues fixed, it would be easier for new and returning students to register and end this chronic overcrowding that we face in the first two weeks of school.

$662
$1000