Federal work-study program jobs available to SJCC students

Financial aid recipients can work up to 20 hours per week and get paid

Photo by Juan Cortez / Times Staff

Students can receive information about the Federal Work-Study program by visiting the Financial Aid office in the first floor of Student Center.

The federal work-study program provides part-time jobs for San Jose City College students to help pay college expenses.

“If you qualify for this federal program, you will be able to work on campus without setting your education to the side, said Financial Aid Specialist Hendy Lam.

The positions that are available are mostly on campus, but students must have already submitted the current FAFSA application and demonstrate financial need.

Students must also be registered in at least six units to be eligible. Once qualified, students can register to attend a federal work-study orientation with Lam.

“The federal work-study program grants the student an opportunity to work part-time, 20 hours a week,” Lam said. “There are various openings for students such as working at the help desk, the school library, the financial aid office, EOP, the Journalism Department and many more departments.”

Students will be able to provide department support, clerical work, tutoring services and assistant note-takers for the SAS Department.

“The skills and experience the students gain will help build up their resume,” Lam said. “This program is a traditional interview-to-hire procedure.”

Students who are interested in working in a certain department must present a resume to that department’s hiring supervisor and to Lam.

Lam said he was also a work-study student during his college days and “learned how financial aid works,” which can sometimes be difficult to understand.

He also mentioned that through the work-study program, he received “a solid foundation.” He got to experience “how an office works.”

SJCC Financial Aid Specialist Luis Vargas said this program is beneficial for students who participate in it.

“This program is similar to applying for a regular job,” Vargas said. “Students will be interviewed for the available position.”

Vargas said that he received “valuable work experience” when he was a college student.

Students will learn how the office functions and will become familiar with the work environment. They are also paired with job openings according to their likes and what they want to pursue as their career choice.

According to the orientation video, the hourly pay rate is $15.45 per hour and pay day will be on the 10th of every month.

Students are recommended to apply at the beginning of the fall 2021 semester or before December 2021.

“There are more opportunities than applicants,” Lam said.

For more information, visit the financial aid office in the Student Center or contact Hendy Lam at 408-298-2181, ext. 3674, or email [email protected]