SJECCD administrators to return to work this summer

In-person classes may return in the fall

Steve Hill, Times Staff

A cyclist rides by a “Campus Closed” sign near San Jose City College on Moorpark Ave. on March 3. A return to in-person classes is being considered by SJECCD administrators for the fall semester if county health guidelines will permit it.

San Jose Evergreen Community College employees may return to in-person work Chancellor Byron Breland wrote in a June 12 district-wide email.

“Based on the latest recommendations and guidelines, we are now in a position to begin a phased transition back to in-person work for many employees beginning next week with the Executive Cabinet, Vice Presidents, and Deans,” Breland wrote.

According to the email, these administrators will then decide what kind of social distancing guidelines must be put into place in order for managers and supervisors to return as well, which they anticipate will begin June 25.

The remaining staff are expected to return to work by August 3.

Breland wrote that plans for the return of students to campus for the fall semester are coming and will be dependent on the county health department guidelines.

“Please note that this return to work plan will be flexible and responsive to the needs of our employees as we work to create a safe environment for everyone,” Breland wrote. “We know that everyone recognizes that this will not be as simple as flipping a switch and returning to a full-time, in-person work week.