Cultural Spring Festival fed bodies, minds and souls

Free food, friends, and fun filled the GE Quad from March 19-21

Krissy Tobey, Times Staff

The Associated Student Government finished its Cultural Spring Festival on March 21 at the GE Quad with a language mixer and foods from around the world. The two hour event hosted several cuisines (all which were free), large art-maps, and representatives from several foreign countries.

“We have students from different countries and different foods to sample,” said Powell Gaynor, a clinical medical assistant student and member of the United World Student Association.

Four booths represented different areas of the world, and one featured SJCC’s radio station, KJCC radio. Every booth flew flags from different countries, and some hung lanterns. Bright posters were placed strategically at each booth, and colored areas indicated which nations SJCC students come from.

Maria Tcha, International Program Specialist, said, “We are ambassadors for America,” so that the international students would know that they are welcome at SJCC.

The “North and South America” booth had ice cream, root beer floats, and California sushi rolls. “Asia” offered curry, pad thai, and kimbop. “Africa” briefly offered Sambusas, but they were gone within half an hour of the event’s opening. The “Europe and Middle East” booth offered German cookies and Spanish rice.

“Spanish rice is my favorite,” said Stephen Mante, a media arts major. “Japan and Germany have evolved, and I find that fascinating and beautiful.”

Jammaar Hall, a psychology major, said that he was involved with the event through his broadcasting class, and that “I felt it was important to be here.”

KJCC Radio took musical suggestions from the crowd. One song they played was apropos: a German version of “Major Tom” by Peter Schilling – a foreign language set to a familiar English tune.

Julinda LeDee, an Academic Service Analyst, attended the event. “The food was delicious, and the atmosphere was fun,” she said.

Doriann Tran, International Program Coordinator, said that for campus life to be more lively, the exchange between national and international students should be visible. The Culture Spring Festival appears to have done just that, visibly mixing students of several ethnicities with foreign foods and novel music.

Festivities were mostly concluded by 1:30p.m., but Tran said she was looking forward to “Spring 2020 when we’re trying to have an international study abroad in Spain.”