SJCC students showcase talent

[media-credit id=31 align=”alignnone” width=”400″]SJCC students showcase talent [/media-credit]
Cosmetology student Kathryn Woodhams, 21, practices her “Dia De Los Muertos” look on her partner, Christine Espinosa, 19 on Oct. 20.
San Jose City College Cosmetology students are preparing for the “Cirque du Freak” hair show and talent showcase set to occur on Oct. 29.

Senior and freshmen cosmetology students have begun preparing their designs, perfecting their walks, and practicing their showcase for the bi-annual SJCC Hairshow.

More than 100 students will participate as either beauty technicians or models in the “Cirque du Freak” themed event.

“It’s always so amazing to see what all the other students are capable of,” said cosmetology student Cassie Stern, 19.

“The show offers us the chance to see the work we normally don’t get to see in the classroom preparing for State Board.”

For most of the year, Cosmetology students are instructed and practice the techniques and styles that they will need to know in order to pass the California Cosmetology State Board Examination.

SJCC earned a name for itself as top Cosmetology School in Northern California and second overall in California behind Vidal Sassoon in Los Angeles based on its 99 percent passing rate on the State Board Examination, said 24-year-old Cosmetology Student Andrea Bettencourt.

Currently on the state board website, the passing rate for SJCC students is 100 percent.

“I’m nervous because of all the pressure,” said Tristan Cherry, 23, a freshman in the Cosmetology Department.

Similarly, her friend freshman Ariel Matthews noted her nerve but overall excitement as a model in this semester’s hair show.

Ariel will work as a technician in this semester’s show, showcasing her talent as hairdresser, manicurist and make-up artist.

This will be the first hair show for the Cosmetology Department freshmen, and they will get a first look at the dancing, modeling, showcasing and final judging of SJCC’s hair show, said Hugo Torres, cosmetology instructor.

Cosmetology students can be seen working hard around campus as they move their work and their practice models from the SJCC Cosmetology Building to the SJCC Theatre this week for final preparation for the Oct. 29 event to take place in the SJCC Theatre.

Those in attendance will have the opportunity to bid on cosmetology services and other items in a silent-auction.

Judging for the students will begin at 2:30 p.m. and the showcase will begin promptly at 6:30 p.m., Torres said.

An after-party with food, beverages and entertainment will follow.
“It’ll be exciting to see what my classmates can do at the hair show,” Bettencourt said. “And overall what my future competition in the cosmetology field will look like.”

$662
$1000