San Jose City College is alive with activity

News from the Associated Student Government, College Advisory Council and Academic Senate

Associated Student Government 

The Associated Student Government is planning to develop an internet newspaper to reach out to the more than 8,000 students.

“This internet newspaper will bring awareness of college activities to our student body and encourage student participation,” said Cody MowBray, ASG president.

The first edition of the “ASG Jaguar Times” is expected to be published toward the end of October.

In other ASG business the student council set aside Oct. 15 as the date to celebrate The Moon Festival with moon cakes, tea and other snacks. The festival location is the Student Center from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.

According to “The Journal of Popular Culture”, “The Moon Festival celebrates three fundamental concepts which are closely tied to one another:

Gathering, such as family and friends coming together, or harvesting crops for the festival.

Thanksgiving, to give thanks for the harvest, or for harmonious unions Praying (asking for conceptual or material satisfaction), such as for babies, a spouse, beauty, longevity, or for a good future”

The ASG meets every Wednesday in room SC 204 from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.

College Advisory Council 

The College Advisory Council recently reviewed the college’s Educational Master Plan prepared by Cambridge West.

Based upon extensive workforce research, the educational plan looks forward to the workforce needs and curriculum offerings of the college through the year 2030.

The Educational master Plan can be viewed at; http://www.sjcc.edu/AcademicAffairs/Documents/San%20Jose%20City%20EMP%20081915.pdf

In other business the College Advisory Council reviewed its charge, mission statement and discussed the college accreditation update.

The CAC meets monthly on the first and third Friday in room SC 204 from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m.

Academic Senate

On Oct. 6 the Academic Senate heard and put forth to the college president its suggestions for 10 full time hiring priorities as follows:
1. Air Conditioning (1)
2. Physics
3. ESL 1
4. Math
5. Computer Applications
6. FMT
7. Biology
8. Music
9. ECE
10. Air Conditioning (2)

The next Academic Senate meets Oct. 20 room SC204 from 2:15 – 4 p.m.

$662
$1000