Jesse Jagson wants you

New journalism class seeks students

BY BRENNON DIXSON
TIMES STAFF

Hello! The City College Times, the student-run newspaper at San Jose City College, is looking for students to join next semester.

There are many perks the class has to offer.

The hours have been cut back for this semester, and the units are all transferable to a four-year college.

The paper is entirely student-run. You work at your own pace and pick your story ideas so you write about what interests you. If you aren’t a writer, there is no need to fret. Reporting, photography, designing, editing, advertising, and social media positions are all available, and no experience is necessary.

You learn everything you need to know in the class so don’t worry about being behind. Our editors had no experience with the paper prior to this year, yet they were still successful.

Anybody can contribute by simply taking pictures and collecting simple quotes for a section or by writing reviews on TV shows you watch. You don’t have to be a master of English because it isn’t like English writing, articles are much shorter.

City College Times students are also able to get into events for free. This includes on-campus sporting events, concerts, but also events outside of SJCC. This semester one of our photographers attended the Winter Classic at Levi’s Stadium.

Everything you will ever need for the class is provided in the newsroom. There is no book required, and the recorders and cameras could be checked out for your assignments. Of course there is pizza on production days as the cherry on top, if you meet deadlines.

Whether journalism is something you have thought about or just looking for an extra class to add, check it out, you can visit the newsroom, Technology Center, room 302 Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Reasons to join journalism :

• Superman was a journalist
  • Earn money by selling advertisements
  • Build your portolio
  • Enhance your resume
  • Learn workplace skills that will help in many ways throughout the future
  • Earn college credit
  • Gain valuable social and writing skills
  • Bond with other students and the community
  • Know your campus better
  • Be a watchdog

$662
$1000