Professor gains recognition

Teacher-Scholar Award for community college chemistry faculty

The American Chemical Society gives awards at local, regional and national levels for excellent teaching in high schools, colleges and universities. This annual award, created in 2009 by the ACS Santa Clara Valley local section, fills a conspicuous gap.

The award was the first in the nation to specifically recognize the contributions of community college chemistry educators. It goes to a faculty member who has been an excellent chemistry teacher for many years.

The winner must have also accomplished independent scholarship or given outstanding support to their students or to the ACS, thus the name Teacher-Scholar award. The winner receives $500 and her or his chemistry department receives $500 to support the needs of the department.

This year, Jose Cabrera has been awarded the fifth annual Teacher-Scholar award. Professor Cabrera of San Jose City College has received several awards for his involvement with students including “Outstanding Club Advisor” by the SJCC Associated Students in 2010.

He is also noted for his work with the Society for the Advancement of Chicanos and Native Americans in Science with awards which include “Chapter of the Year for Fundraising” in 2011 and “Community College Chapter of the Year” in 2012.

Perhaps most telling is Professor Cabrera’s recognition as “Faculty of the Year” from the SJCC President in 2012.

Cabrera works with the Peer-Led Team Learning Program, a DOE funded program. He also advises students in research, many of whom present their results at National Conferences, and in so doing empowers students with a wider and richer perspective of the beauty that is chemistry.

He recognizes one never works in a vacuum, and appreciated the opportunity to work with his amazing students and passionate colleagues.

Previous award winners:

Cinzia Muzzi, De Anza College (2012)
Accomplishments: Excellent service to ACS; developed novel, cutting edge laboratory curriculum.

Madeline Adamczeski, San Jose City College (2011)
Accomplishments: Participation and dissemination of teaching innovations; student support.

T.R. Dickson, Cabrillo College (2010)
Accomplishments: Author of numerous chemistry textbooks.

Jeanette Medina, Cañada College (2009)
Accomplishments: New chemical technology program; student recruitment and support.

This article was written by Allan Wilcox from the Santa Clara Valley of the American Chemistry Society.
© Santa Clara Valley of the American Chemistry Society 2013. Reprinted with permission.

$662
$1000