Times staff lauded for work

[media-credit id=1 align=”alignnone” width=”400″]Times staff lauded for work[/media-credit]
Journalism students from left, front row: Jessie Wilson and Zizly Flores, back row: Olivia Payne, Greg Frazier, Tucky Howard, Maggie Martinez, Dan Ho and Analicia Najera show off their awards won at the JACC Conference on Nov. 6.
The San Jose City Times staff attended the Journalism Association for Community Colleges NorCal conference at San Jose State University on November 6.

They won 15 awards including first place for copyediting, news judgment and layout, and illustration as well as awards in news photography, editorial writing, opinion writing, editorial cartoon and ad design.

There were over 220 students in attendance from 16 community colleges.

The students were able to attend several workshops and participate in many on-the-spot contests which would later be judged by volunteer professors and journalism faculty.

Funds for the conference were provided by Associated Students, and Business Services took care of the logistics.

Students were provided lunches and enjoyed entertainment from some of their peers as they danced during lunch.

The awards ceremony at the end of the day allowed the students to cheer for their classmates and take pride in their accomplishments.

SJCC Times staff received praise from numerous outlets around the district including a word from Chancellor Rita Cepeda, A.S Director of Finance, Jeremiah Horn, SJCC President, Doug Treadway, Evelyn Rojas from the Reading and Writing Center, among others.

At the Board of Trustees meeting on Nov. 8, the Times staff was recognized and applauded by many from both SJCC and Evergreen Valley College.

$662
$1000