New leaders of tomorrow

The SACNAS club provides leadership skills to many students

[media-credit id=1 align=”alignnone” width=”1600″]sacnasclub_Viridiana[/media-credit]Viridiana Castellanos

Times Staff

Have you ever wondered what life today would be like without scientist?

The Society for Advancement of Chicanos and Native Americans in Science, also known as SACNAS, is a club at San Jose City College that helps increase the number of Hispanics/Chicanos and Native Americans in science research and leadership.

The team meets every Friday from 11:45 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. to discuss upcoming events that members would like to accomplish.

For example, this semester the club is trying to incorporate speaker events, collaboration with organizations and is even planning to host an outreach summer program day for the community.

Lesly Martinez, president of the SACNAS club, said  “Every semester, this organization plans new things for the students and teachers to partake in.”

Martinez sais that the club has traditional events, such as the annual Balloon Project, camping trip, and SACNAS conference.

The club is funded by the ASG but it also holds fundraisers to support themselves for projects and events.

I sat down in one of their meetings and was surprised by all the ideas that they had.

This is a group of individuals who really enjoy the science field.

“I wanted to join the SACNAS club because I wanted to be surrounded by students who have in interest in science. I wanted to surround myself with people who make a school their one of their top priorities,” said Gerardo Gutierrez,21, who is majoring in environmental science.

The club tries to be involved with the community as much as they can.

“We are activists for making the community that we live in a better place. SACNAS is an organization that opens doors to internships and gives back to the community through volunteering,” Martinez said.

There are some students, however, who had no clue about the club.

Crystal Arango, who is majoring in business said that she had no idea a club like that existed.

“I know science is important, but I had no Idea the school had a club for Hispanics that focused on science, I’m really glad they do though.” “I think the school should try harder to emphasize important clubs like those.” said Arango.

“SACNAS is a special club because it’s a community of people that want to become future life changer,” said Martinez, “SACNAS is active in networking and getting the most out of the opportunities that are available to the students in different STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) fields.”

For more information about the club, feel free to stop at one of their meetings in the science building in room S-202

on Fridays from 11:45 a.m. to 12:45 p.m.

$662
$1000