Black Lives Matter

Black Lives Matter

San Jose City College hosted “Black Lives Matter,” a peaceful demonstration at the Student Center on Dec. 10.

“The purpose is the moment of silence and healing,” said Michelle Blair, English instructor.

At the demonstration, students showed sympathy for all the black lives lost or affected.

“The event shows solidarity with everybody who’s being affected with what’s going on with the killing of black men,” said Randi Escobar, an SJCC English and criminal justice major.

Some students and staff showed respect toward all the black lives lost.

“We wore all black and had a moment of silence,” Escobar said.

Blair played a song at the event.

“There is a song that I played, which is called Sweet Honey on the Rock,” Blair said.

The Director of Student Development and Activities, Blake Balajadia wrote in an email that he wanted students to show sympathy to all the black lives lost and for all those who are grieving.

“What I wanted people to take in was that each of us standing in the Student Center was not only family to one another, but also family to the individuals who have lost their lives to police violence all over the country,” Balajadia wrote. “I wanted people to understand that we are collectively feeling the loss of these individuals and the need to come together to make a difference around this issue.”

$662
$1000