Tutoring Center can be helpful

Free tutoring sevice for all SJCC students

[media-credit name=”google.com” align=”aligncenter” width=”600″]tutor pix[/media-credit]

Students who struggle with a variety of subjects can find help from a friend on campus, or can visit the Tutoring Center. Tutoring is available for all San Jose City College students for free. “Currently the tutoring center offers tutoring in several subjects and language courses,” said Ann Soman, Tutoring Center faculty coordinator. The Tutoring Center serves students by free drop-in and group tutoring in math, chemistry, physics and Spanish. “There is an average of 30 students at one time in Tutoring Center, or more, prior to test days,” said Jennifer Parsons, biology/chemistry tutor. Parsons said that students come for tutoring in many subjects, especially math, but students do not take full advantage of opportunities in science courses. “Not as many for biology and chemistry, but the math people get more students,” Parsons said.

The Tutoring Center resides in the Library/Learning Resource Center, first floor, L105. Tutoring days are Monday through Thursday, from 8:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. The center is open on Fridays, from 8:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. “We are currently experiencing high attendance in the Tutoring Center,” Soman said. According to the Tutoring Center brochure, in order for the college to be funded by state for tutoring, instructors or counselors must refer students to use these services.
The teachers need to recommend students to Tutoring center. Students need to receive A’s or B’s in order to be tutors. Students need to have a conference meet to know the basics about the process, Parsons said. When a student comes in for tutoring, staff will try to match his or her name with a list of referred students. If the name appears on the list, students will be asked to enroll in LS210 Supervised Tutoring, according to the brochure. There is no charge for services. Tutors and staff can help with the necessary paper work. If you need more information about the Tutoring Center, message Ann Soman at (408) 298-2181 ext. 3238/[email protected], or Peiman Gheibi at (408) 298-2181 ext. 3559/[email protected].

$662
$1000