Letters to the editor

Fresh and Natural gives its response

Dear editor,

Fresh and Natural would like to respond to your recent article dated Nov.19, 2013, about our cafeteria food services. Fresh & Natural prides itself on preparing all foods fresh, on-site daily. We also offer a large array of healthy options.
Our fresh salad bar features a large variety of fresh greens, veggies and fruits; our fresh pre-packaged specialty salads and sandwiches are prepared each morning.
We also feature several made-to-order lighter and vegetarian options on our grill including garden burgers, veggie wraps, vegetarian burritos, and grilled chicken breast sandwiches. House made soups, fresh California rolls and spring rolls are great snacks and made fresh daily.
Fresh & Natural also makes every effort to keep prices competitive. All posted prices include sales tax. We offer many daily specials and combos priced between $5.50 and $6.50. Fresh & Natural uses local produce and environmentally friendly packaging and utensils.
A complete meal featuring a teriyaki bowl ($4.75), energy drink ($ 2.75) and candy bar ($1.25) is $8.75 including tax
Fresh & Natural works hard to ensure our customers always have a variety of fresh prepared food and prices to fit any budget. Our on-site manager Kevin Trinh has many years of experience in the foodservice industry and meets and exceeds his duty by always working with the students for special events with specific budgets.

Thank you for allowing us to serve the San Jose City College Community,

Norma Moreno, COO, Fresh & Natural Food Service Group

—————————————————————————————————————————————————-

Librarian takes issue

Dear editor,

The Times published an article on Safe Zone this fall in the Oct. 22 issue, and I want to point out some errors. This is not a gender equality program. It is designed to promote safety and awareness of problems facing gay and transgender students (LGBT). According to the Centers for Disease Control, they have the highest rate of suicide of any group of youth and the greatest harassment. They also have lower success rates compared to other students since they are often very depressed and fear for their safety. They must keep quiet and hide their identity.
Safe Zone programs promote education awareness of these problems and training for faculty and staff. It also promotes campus awareness and student promotion. There has been little attention paid to this issue on campuses and thus the need for this program at SJCC.

Thank you,

Joseph King, Librarian/Safe Zone Facilitator

Students causing stress

Dear editor,

I work as a student assistant in the counseling office at the front desk. I’m sure all of you can imagine how stressful it can be handling stressed out students who absolutely need to see a counselor right away for a pre-req over-ride or to register for classes, or apply for graduation. So please, next time you start to storm in the office demanding to see a counselor, remind yourself that it is likely the stress you’re having in that moment is because you procrastinated and waited until the last minute.

Thank you for your time and consideration,

Robert Beck, 21, liberal arts major

$662
$1000