Sexual assaults rock the campus

Student and faculty safety is at risk due to a shortage in police staff.

There have been three reported sexual assaults on the San Jose City College campus. Although there was no dispatcher working at SJCC police office, there have been officers on duty patrolling the campus, Chief of Police Ray Aguirre said.

There are only three full-time officers and two parking officers working for the whole district.

Aguirre said he hopes to hire more officers, but it is not up to him, it’s up to his boss, Chancellor Rita Cepeda. Cepeda said she will look into matter.

Staff and students feel unsafe. Ruben Escobar said he often escorts female classmates to their vehicles because he worries something might happen to them. Jessica Breheny, a language arts instructor, plans to put together some self-defense seminars in a dojo in Campbell to educate SJCC community on self-defense.

The assault in the SJCC Science parking lot around 5:30 a.m. on Sept. 13 was not reported to police until the next day. The victim described the suspect as a Hispanic or African-American adult male, heavy build, approximately 6 feet tall and 250-300 pounds. He was wearing a black or navy blue ski mask, black zip up-style windbreaker, dark pants and white tennis shoes. His clothing was dirty and smelled badly.

Another victim was assaulted on the second floor of the SJCC parking garage around 5:30 p.m. on Sept. 21. The victim waited about two hours after the incident and then reported it to San Jose Police Department, according to information provided by the police chief. The victim described the suspect as a white or Hispanic adult male, 40-50 years old, medium build, approximately 6 feet tall and 180-200 pounds, medium short hair and wrinkled or “weathered” cheeks. Suspect was wearing a white shirt and had a strong smell of cologne. The assault happened at around 5:30 p.m. on Sept. 21.

During the spring session a female student was also assaulted by an unknown male at the women’s restroom located in the first floor of the GE building. She got away by bitting the suspect on his right hand. The victim approached a custodian for help after the suspect ran off. The victim described the suspect as a white adult male in his 20s, 6 feet tall and about 180 pounds, medium build, light eyes (possibly blue), and facial hair.

In all cases the suspects did not appeared to be students and both recent cases are still active. Anyone who has information regarding this and or other assault is encouraged to contact police at (408)270-6468. Your identity can remain confidential.

$662
$1000