College placed on probation

[media-credit id=5 align=”alignnone” width=”400″]College placed on probation[/media-credit]
With San Jose City College being placed on probation, its students are faced with the possibility of their classes losing accreditation.
With the wake-up call of six major recommendations from the Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges, San Jose City College has been placed on probation.

SJCC has been placed on probation for “deviating significantly from the commission’s eligibility requirements, standards or commission policies,” according to the ACCJC website.

To be put on probation means that SJCC could not be considered a functioning school, and transferable units will not be accredited. The college has been under watch for some time because of its decisions, governance, performance and financial resources.

The ACCJC has given the school until Oct. 15 to fix the six major concerns addressed in their visit to the campus. The school’s new president, Dr. Barbara Kavalier, says that along with supporting faculty and students,  they are trying to make sure the school does not lose its accreditation.

Kavalier explained that Student Learning Outcomes (SLO) were a big reason why SJCC is on probation. She’s hoping to surpass the previous SLOs this semester, and is planing to evaluate program reviews and financial planning that needs to be edited. School and district leaders are setting new goals, making hard choices and setting in motion a plan by Oct for a better SJCC.

“I have all the faith in the world that we can do this,” Director of Student Activities Jennifer Neil said about accelerating the process of fixing the school’s major deficiencies. “It’s time to get busy and stop messing around.”

After addressing her peers at last week’s Associated Students meeting, Kavalier said she has confidence in SJCC’s potential. Kavalier said she is “getting organized, prepared, and determined to get this community college back on track.”

Kavalier said she has experience with schools in this situation, and no matter how bad the school’s past is, she exudes confidence when she talks about fixing it.

The Associated Students Government has a new plan listed on the school’s website of: achieving goals, assisting students and developing a bond with the community. Of the many required fixes, financial planning and teacher outcomes are being watched.

Students such as Brooke Miller, 24, are hoping the school’s situation does not affect the hard-working teachers SJCC still has remaining  after the budget cuts.

“Good teachers already don’t get the credit they should,” she said, when asked about how she thought this could affect the staff and students.
The ACCJC has given the school until Oct 15 to fix its problems. After that, the progress must be maintained for a two-year span in order for the school to get rid of its “warning of probation,” according to ACCJC.org.

Kavalier said the staff is “accelerating the process” of getting the school off probation and being prepared for the October evaluation.

$662
$1000