Academic Renewal can eliminate poor grades from transcript

Students can overcome early struggles

Academic Senate

The Academic Senate met Nov. 17 and reviewed Board Policy 4240 as an information item dealing with Academic Renewal.

BP 4240 reads, “Previously recorded substandard academic performance may be discharged if it is not reflective of a student’s demonstrated ability. The AS of each college shall establish procedures that provide for academic renewal.”

A counseling handout explains that under Academic Renewal, “A student may petition to have previous substandard San Jose course work such as D, F, NP grades and credits excluded from his/her (transcript) GPA and units completed calculations.”

Conditions apply; contact [email protected] of the counseling department for further information.

In other actions the AS unanimously voted to oppose current proposed state legislation which would eliminate the Board of Governors Fee Waiver for students whose GPA is less than a 2.0.

The possible loss of this BOG Fee Waiver would affect over 1200 students at San Jose City College.

The next Academic Senate meeting will be Dec. 15, from 2:10 p.m. to 4 p.m., Student Center, room 204.
Cameras on campus

The College Advisory Council met Nov. 20 and spent time working on and fine tuning SJCC’s mission statement and ensuring that the college mission statement meets the standards set out by the accreditation authority.

Part of the mission statement which is undergoing edit and wordsmithing reads, “The mission of San Jose City College is to serve our students and the community by offering high quality, relevant and innovative instruction for the basic skills, career pathways, university transfer, and life-long learning by awarding certificates and associate degrees to students taught in a multicultural environment where student achievement and learning are supported.”

The Facilities and Safety Committee reported plans to install 100 video cameras across campus to help identify suspects of criminal activity.

The next CAC meeting will be Dec. 18, 9 a.m. to 11 a.m., Student Center, room 204.

Free dinner

The Associated Student Government met Nov.18.

The ASG hosted a Thanksgiving dinner including mashed potatoes, gravy, desserts and all the amenities on Thursday evening Nov. 19. Approximately 200 free dinners were served.

The Associated Student Government approved $200 to help host a Domestic Violence Awareness event held by the Mental Health Client Association on Monday Nov. 23.

The ASG will host their annual Christmas dinner Thursday Dec. 10 room Student Center, 5 – 8 p.m.

This is a free event to the campus community, all are invited.

The ASG meets weekly on Wednesdays, 2 p.m. Student Center, room 204.

$662
$1000