To beat lines, help yourself

Many San Jose City College students are angry. They say they have to wait in long lines to talk to counselors, talk to financial aid personnel and to register for classes. A large number complain that faculty and staff are not doing their jobs. I completely disagree. Students are equally responsible for the delays in student services.

Many San Jose City College students are angry. They say they have to wait in long lines to talk to counselors, talk to financial aid personnel and to register for classes. A large number complain that faculty and staff are not doing their jobs.

I completely disagree. Students are equally responsible for the delays in student services.

After working in the Student Center as a work-study student for almost three months, I have been able to experience what goes on behind the scenes. Most students do not take a moment to think about what others have to do in order for students to get good fast service.

There are approximately 12,000 students at SJCC, and each one, including myself, expect to be treated as if he or she is the only one who matters. However, we must take into consideration that if we do not do our part, fast and timely service will be impossible.

For example, in the Financial Aid office, there are only 10 people to help students with the financial aid process. Two of which answer phones and push papers, two alternate at the front counter, leaving only six people who work full time, reviewing documents.

That is not all. Out of those six, one works concurrently with student loans, one with veterans and another with work-study students.

This is just one example of what students do not see. When students see people in their offices, these students assume that the staff should only work on completing files, only a few days after students turn in their paperwork.

Students need to complete their paperwork for every department early. Financial aid priority is given to those who complete their applications before March 2, not in September.

Students must be in charge of their destiny and not wait for others to do things for them. There are people who are dedicated to help students through the process, and to take advantage of that is perfectly fine, but it is not a good idea to depend on others for what are our own responsibilities as students.

Students can avoid the long lines and frustration. They need to do what they have to do ahead of time and stop expecting to get everything handed to them.

$662
$1000